I am not the fastest runner. At all. I’ve not yet built up to marathons, either. Old injuries remind me of their existence. Still, I keep going out there.
I am a purist when it comes to some things. I NEVER run on treadmills. Only trails. No weather condition (save for lightning) will keep me off the trail; not rain, cold, heat, or snow. I prefer cold weather runs. The best running temps (in my opinion) range from 30 degrees Fahrenheit to 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Your fingertips are cold, but not too cold. You are not going to get too hot too early. The cold will distract you from the initial sore leg pain and the “What Am I Doing Out Here This Early?” train of thoughts. My favorite time to run is early in the morning, and on an empty stomach. I love seeing my fellow runners out there. I carry bear-strength pepper spray, too.
Music is a big aid in my runs. If the weather is hot, I start off angry. If angry, I will start off with my playlist titled: Run! The songs there are as follows:
- Mountain At My Gates by Foals
- Renegade by Styx
- Pride and Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble
- Shame by Stabbing Westward
- The Distance by Cake
- Terminator Theme by Hanny Williams
- Gone Away by The Offspring
- Headstrong by Trapt
- Pardon Me by Incubus
- All These Things That I’ve Done by The Killers
- Lil’ Red Riding Hood by Sam the Sham & The Pharoahs
- Conciencia by Gilberto Santa Rosa
- Read My Mind by The Killers
Cold weather runs are my FAVORITES. Man. I get so excited just thinking about them. That excitement carries over to my mood when I first start running. So, in that case, I listen to the tunes on Run2, which are light-hearted and almost whimsical.
- Heart and Soul by T’Pau
- Just Like Heaven by The Cure
- In the Meantime by Spacehog
- Calma by Pedro Capó
- Despacito by Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee
- Catch & Release (Deepend Remix) by Matt Simons
- Learning to Fly by Pink Floyd
- Uprising by Muse
- Porcelain by Moby
- Extreme Ways by Moby
- Hey Soul Sister by Train
- De Mi Enamorate by Daniela Romo
- Hasta Que Te Conoci by Juan Gabriel
- My Hero by Foo Figthers
- That Was Yesterday by Foreigner
- I Just Died in Your Arms by Cutting Crew
Some songs get skipped. Hey Soul Sister hardly ever fits into my running mood. Some are favorites, such as Learning to Fly, Catch & Release and Calma.
I think you should get out there. I should’ve gotten out there this morning, but my running pal got a toenail injury last night that will need a day or so to heal. But we’ll be out there tomorrow. Me, my running pal, the trail, fellow runners and my favorite tunes.